Monday, October 24, 2011

B-12 and E-11


Difficulty of block: easy
Number of pieces: 6
Method used: hand applique

Is it a Starflower or is it Indian corn?  I did something I have not done before, on my Dear Jane Journey, and that is changing the shape of an applique piece.  Before I even started I reduced the size of the center piece and the petals so that it would be more like the original.  The center piece was a fun shape and easy enough to applique, but the print of the fabric made it look like I stitched a very sloppy square, so I decided to replace it with a real square instead.


Difficulty of block: moderate
Number of pieces: 13
Method used: hand applique

Yes, you are seeing correctly, I made two blocks last week; this one is called Wagon Wheel.  Why two blocks?  Well, I was thinking how it would be nice to have the center blocks completed by the end of the year, so that next year could be the year of border blocks.   And, because I am so close to finishing the blocks anyway, I would only have to double up a couple of times.

10 comments:

LuAnn said...

They're both gorgeous. You are so close to finishing the center blocks. Can't wait to see them all together.

Ellie's Quiltplace said...

Lovely blocks! I changed some appliqué patterns too, to stick to the original designs.
I pieced my Wagon Wheel block. Don't know what I was thinking, but it turned out quite well :o)

Millie en Miles said...

Beautiful.... I think you are almost done with al the square blocks, you already have so many !!!!! Good job !!!

Phebe and Jane said...

Lovely fabrics. I like the way you change the blocks to make them look more like the original ones. Sometimes I did that too, but not consequently.
Greetings,
Marian

Paula said...

Wow Karen, both are extremely beautiful. Yes, you are so close to finish the center and I'm so excited to see your blocks all together.

Josie McRazie said...

Nice! Way to look ahead to your time line! I cannot wait!! I do love the corn look that is going on there! hehe

Satu said...

Hei Karen, I haven't comment recently.. only because I'm still sounding as an old broken record player... YOUR BLOCKS ARE GORGEOUS... ALL of THEM!!! And I'm looking forward your triangles too..

Kats Studio said...

I just love your colors.

Susan D said...

Ahh, that rust and gold fabric. I picked it up last spring in Brockport NY. Just used it on Bachelor Buttons. It's splendid, isn't it?

Like you, I generally follow Jane over Brenda where there's a difference.

A Colorful World said...

Love the Indian corn block! You found the perfect fabrics for it!

To see what other projects I am working on, visit me at Journey of a Quilter.