Sunday, July 3, 2011

M-13


Difficulty of block: easy
Number of pieces: 12
Method used: hand piecing, hand applique

If I was to start my Dear Jane Journey all over again, I don't think I would rate difficulty levels for each block.  I think it all depends on what point of your journey you are at and the block you select at the time. 

Working from a book with basically no instruction can be very discouraging or it can have the opposite effect.  I am not one to be easily discouraged, many before me have successfully completed their Dear Jane Journey and so will I.  We all begin with the same tools, we just have to believe we can do it. 

Jane A. Stickles quilt is truly a labour of love and an excellent project to master the art of quilting.  So, if you are thinking of starting a Dear Jane quilt, go for it.  Or, if you have set one in progress aside, I encourage you to try again.  For best results; think twice, stitch once.  And, take it nice and slow.

My block this week is called, Lynette's Diamond.


11 comments:

peawink said...

Well said Karen! I think nice and slow is the trick, and looking at each block individually to find the plan that works best. I'm having a blast and loving looking at your blocks as I work on yours. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Nicky said...

Those are great words of advice Karen! I have a DJ quilt stashed away, through laziness rather than difficulty. I was wondering if you could share your preparation tips? I'd love to do this block of the week type thing, but find the preparation of blocks the most difficult to achieve. Its amazing to see you are hand piecing too! I'd love to hear any advice or tips you have,
Thanks for the inspiration
Nicky

Pip said...

I agree Karen, I didn't think any of the blocks were difficult (I am not an accomplished quilt maker by any means) just complicated, so your words: think twice, stitch once are very apt.

Sheila said...

Sage advice Karen, I am machine piecing most of mine and could have done with this reminder a year ago, But with 130 blocks done i may have finally learned a lesson

Yvette said...

Wonderful post.

Another beauty, my friend.

Claudia said...

Hi Karen,

I was thinking how much calm you are.
I´m a little anxious for this kind of work. But I imagine the pleasure you have, when look all this blocks that you done.

huges

Retrogirl said...

Karen,
Yet another beautiful block to add to your completed list.

I think our personal skill set we bring to Jane determines the difficulty level, rather than the official ratings. I wholeheartedly agree that a can-do attitude is incredibly helpful on the journey. =)

Josie McRazie said...

We all live and learn! isn't it amazing how you can look at one and think is is going to be VERY difficult (I am after all a beginner) and when you get into it it is very easy! Or one you think you can whip through kicks you in the rear!! grrr! But I do so love your choice of fabrics! I cannot wait till your journey begins to come together!!

Robin said...

Truly, Karen, that is sage advice. The difficulty really is all relative. I chose "easy" ones for my first blocks (a simple 4-patch and a 9-patch) and you know, I feel like those were a LOT more challenging for me than the last triangles I did. I have learned so much in the process of making this quilt.

Mari Carmen, (Onox) said...

Me encanta tu bolg. Yo ya estoy terminando mi colcha DEAR JANE, tengo todos los cuadros hechos y me faltan sólo 5 triángulos. Estoy empezando a coser las bandas para unir los cuadritos. Es preciosa, la empecé en Mayo de 2009, aunque he estado varios meses sin hacer nada. Pronto pondré fotos e n ni blog. un abrazo

Ramona said...

Thank you for your lovely photos and wonderful words of encouragement. Your color combinations are fabulous.

To see what other projects I am working on, visit me at Journey of a Quilter.