Sunday, June 14, 2009

L-13


Difficulty of block: moderate (curves)
Number of pieces: 12
Method used: hand piecing

Harvest Moon caught my eye back when I started making DJ blocks. I didn't think it was a good idea to try it back then. So many curves. After studying the pattern, I decided Jane would have pieced it in four (pie slice) sections, with three pieces in each section. Once decided how I would hand piece the block together, I then go to Brenda's Dear Jane website and see if she has any hand piecing tips for that block. I wasn't expecting to read that she appliqued and reverse appliqued Harvest Moon. If I read it correctly, by doing reverse applique, you would eliminate the four corner seams from the block. For that reason and because the circle had to be redrafted, as it was way to close to the edge of the block, I have listed Harvest Moon on my sidebar as an Oops! block. I really like this block and hand piecing curves was easier then I thought.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Whatever gets the job done is the best way to do it!

Yvette said...

Oh my! Handpiecing curves. That is a scary thought. LOL! Your block came out perfect, as usual. Great fabric again too!

sewprimitive karen said...

That looks nice; I am looking forward to making this block.

Robin said...

Hand piecing curves is so scary for me! You did a lovely job on this one. It really is a fun design.

To see what other projects I am working on, visit me at Journey of a Quilter.